Free, Indeed: An Introduction

Free. I say the word and a sense of longing fills the space in my chest. The space where my heart beats. The space where I breath. Even in my middle class, suburban American life, I long to be free.


This summer I've spend a lot of my summer asking myself, "What do I want to be free from?" and I have had plenty of answers. I want to be free from expectations, schedules, the urge to compare and contrast. Free from trying to fit in a self created mold that feels too tight. I want to be free to think, breath and not worry so much.

"What do I want to be free from?" is a good question to ask. The answer can spark change, ignite a revolution, or help you find the freedom you've been longing for. Yet, this year's MOPS theme is not a question. Free, Indeed is a statement.

Free, Indeed reminds us that we are free. It reminds us to look up and around. Past the road blocks right in front of us and towards the opens paths. It is a call to stop looking for chains with which to shackle ourselves down, but to shake off outside expectations. Free, Indeed asks us to be gutsy and try new things. Even if that new thing is just saying "no." It is a call to run towards love: love for God, our family and ourselves.

We are free, blessedly free. Now it is time to unfold our wings and soar.



Kristen is a wife and mother who likes to pretend that she can cook, write and create. She is a little compulsive when it comes to cleaning and organizing and has an ever growing love of dark chocolate, tea and Jane Austen. But mostly, she is a woman trying to figure out how to live a life she can be proud of.


Comments