Children's Book Chat - 11/25/15


The short, cold days of late fall are the perfect excuse to curl up under a blanket with the kiddos and read. Not that you really need an excuse. Reading is always a good idea.

Little white rabbit
Little White Rabbit by Kevin Henkes
One reviewer said that this book was the new The Runaway Bunny. Honestly, I liked Little White Rabbit a lot more. Little White Rabbit follows a small rabbit as he hops through the forest, imaging what it is like to be green like the grass, tall like the trees, etc. When he sees a cat, he gets scared and hops back home to the loving comfort of his mommy.

This story speaks about the safety of a loving home but also encourages the imagination. This board book's sweet illustrations and brief story made it work for my 1 year old but I also spent time talking with my almost 4 year old about imagination. What did he think it would be like to stand still for a long time like a rock, etc.

Big Smelly Bear
Big Smelly Bear by Britta Teckentrap
In this tale, smelly bear gets an itch he cannot scratch. No one will scratch it for him because he is so smelly. Finally, fluffy bear says she will scratch it if he goes and takes a bath first. Lighthearted and funny,  this book illustrates the influence and importance of friendship. Also, the fact that an occasional bath never hurts either.

Grumpy Goat
Grumpy Goat by Brett Helquist
Grumpy Goat infiltrates happy Sunny Acres farm with his bad attitude and anti-social ways. However, things start to change when he begins to care about one special flower.

The rustic, detailed acrylic and oil based illustrations are charming. In general the story is light and appealing to youngsters and adults. However, I was surprised by the depth of lesson about caring for someone who is grieving lose. I only hope that I can be more like cow, the pigs and sheep when I encounter someone going through heartache.

Alice in wonderland : a colors primer
Alice in Wonderland: A Colors Primer by Jennifer Adams
Part of the BabyLit collection (a charming collection of basic primers based on classic literature), the author uses characters and details from the classic Alice in Wonderland to introduce colors to your baby.

Full disclosure: I have a few BabyLit books in my personal children's library. Mostly they are a novelty item that spans my literature interests with my children's understanding. Reviews generally say that Alice in Wonderland is one of the better BabyLit books. In general, these books are fun and I enjoy the illustration style used through this board book series. BabyLit also has A Christmas Carol: A Color Primer, also available through our local library system.

What's in the egg, Little Pip?
What's In the Egg, Little Pip? by Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman
My household is Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman fans. There is something about their stories and illustrations that generally makes these books hits. What's in the Egg, Little Pip? is about a little penguin dealing with jealousy over the care that his parents are giving to the new egg. In the end, Pip moves beyond the jealousy and learns to be a helpful, protective older sibling. This is a wonderful option for those of you preparing children for a new sibling.

Final Verdict
If I could add only one of these books to our personal library, it would be Grumpy Goat. This book had many layers of lessons that I think it will be useful and entertaining for many years to come.

When did I get like this? : the screamer, the worrier, the dinosaur-chicken-nugget-buyer, & other mothers I swore I'd never be
Bonus Mommy Book: When Did I Get Like This? The Screamer, The Worrier, The Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget Buyer & Other Mothers I Swore I'd Never Be by Amy Wilson
I loved the intro/first chapter of this book. I also loved her basic premise about the motherhood that we are living is not always the motherhood we dreamed of and that is okay! However, her New York City mommy lifestyle made enough of a gap between our personal experiences that I often had trouble relating. After some critical thinking, I would probably give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. However, if you had or are working on having a child via IVF or a similar procedure there are are few chapters in this book that might make it worth the check out. She details her experience and some of the isolating worries and feelings that came with it. Also, be warned there is some mild language in different chapters.

Have you read any of these books? Which ones are you adding to your "to-read" list?

PS. To see more Children's Book Chat posts, click here

PPS. Looking for Christmas book ideas, click here to be linked to our Christmas themed meeting recap and extensive list of Christmas book ideas. 

Disclaimer: All opinions written above are those of the review and not of PBF MOPS, MOPS Intl. or Peninsula Bible Fellowship.


Kristen is a wife and mother who likes to pretend that she can cook, write and create. She is a little compulsive when it comes to cleaning and organizing and has an ever growing love of dark chocolate, tea and Jane Austen. But mostly, she is a woman trying to figure out how to live a life she can be proud of.

Comments